*This post contains affiliate links! Thanks for your support in keeping my boys stocked up with books and Legos!
- Coins. Hot glue them right onto the car.
- BB's. Drill a hole, insert BB, cover with glue.
- Fishing weights. (see process above)
8. Graphite is Your Friend! (CHECK YOUR RULES!) Depending on what is allowed, don't forget the graphite powder. A little spritz on each wheel/axle before race day will help the car reach its max speed potential.
9. Skip the Kit! It's not necessary to buy a body kit for the car. I'll just say that the very first Pinewood Derby car our oldest son built was a kit added to his block to make it look like a truck. He then painted it red, white, and blue. To this day, it's the coolest design of all of our pinewood derby cars. However, it was so slow that he won the Official Pace Car Trophy--a prize for the slowest car in the Pack.
10. Want to have the best time? Let your Scout be the primary car builder. As a Pack, we offer an Outlaw Division for parents/adults who want to make their own car. If your Pack doesn't offer that, perhaps you can suggest it.